As a property owner, you know the importance of lawn and landscaping maintenance. And there is plenty of equipment to choose from. With the right equipment, keeping your property looking beautiful is easy. Whether you want to do it on your own or hire a lawn mowing service, three items are essential for lawn care.
Lawn Mower usage
You need a lawn mower to cut the grass, an edger to keep the borders trim, and a blower to get rid of dead leaves and grass clippings. Even if your lawnmower has a bag to catch grass trimmings, a blower is essential for clean-up. Like every piece of equipment, lawn mower maintenance is essential to keep it in good working order. If you wait till the last minute, you may need to buy new equipment frequently which becomes expensive in the long run.
Tips on mower maintenance
- Go through the user manual thoroughly. User manuals will tell you what you should do in the way of maintenance and extend the life of the product.
- Drain the petrol/diesel tank after mowing season is over. Old fuel tends to settle and clog the pipes. It is one of the main reasons for a lawn mower not starting.
- Do oil changes regularly, like you would for your car. When the oil becomes old, it can result in damage to the motor. Draining petrol is also important at the end of the mowing season. If you are not sure of the frequency and oil to be used, the user manual will have detailed instructions.
- Always clean the undercarriage of your lawn mower well. Damp grass usually gets stuck to the underside and can prevent the blades from moving freely. IT can also clog the intake pipe to the clippings bag. A wire brush can be used to scrape off clippings. A water hose can clear up the rest. If you use an electric lawn mower, you can use the same steps after unplugging it from the power source. This is especially true for lawn mowing contractors who use their equipment a lot and need everything in good working order.
- Air filters and spark plugs are items that are not considered in the maintenance schedule. Becoming familiar with the user manual will help in doing this job on a schedule as well. These items are not expensive and essential to the maintenance schedule. Changing these regularly will ensure optimum performance.
6. Sharpening lawn mower blades is another important task. Since they encounter grass, rocks and other objects while cutting, sharpening must be done regularly. Dull blades can also damage turf. If you have the required tools, you can do it yourself or take it to a repair shop. Blade sharpening is part of a tune up package, but it is not expensive if you need to do it between tune ups. Companies offering lawn mowing services do this often as they work at a number of properties.
7. Getting a tune-up annually will extend the life of your lawn mower. What is part of the tune up? We drain Old gas, air filters and replace spark plugs. We also perform diagnostics to check for optimal functioning. If you didn’t do it at the end of a season, take your mower in spring and let the experts take care of it for you. Tune-up packages are very affordable. If you are mechanically inclined, then you can do these things on your own and save money.
A lawn mower is like a race car – you have to take care of it and do regular maintenance to keep your machine working well. For those who want to use their free time in other ways, hiring a lawn mowing service to do the job is the way to go. Lawn maintenance companies also undertake landscaping care and tree and shrub planting. Ask about their charges before outsourcing this task. The above tips and tricks on mower and equipment maintenance holds true for a garden service company and a homeowner. Keeping your property and landscaping looking neat and tidy offers great returns during a sale. You don’t want to be the one to have a shabby yard and disgruntled neighbours.